The Honey Island Swamp Tour is a funky backwoods kayak tour experience. Enjoy an intermediate paddle through the swamp! Known for its bigfoot of the south, the Honey Island swamp monster.
What makes swamp tours awesome!
- Capturing memories, come away with some amazing photos of you and your partner with some wildlife in the background.
- Exercising, you know how much you eat on vacation, here is a chance to work a little of it off.
- Feeling a sense of freedom and making your own path. Using a kayak you can wind through a cypress grove and have a great chance of approaching wildlife with silence and awe.
- Gaining a respect for the importance of the swamps from an eco tour guide.
What makes swamp tours NOT awesome
- Feeding the wildlife, I often see photos of people feeding marshmallows to get alligators to jump out of the water for a photo opportunity.
- Holding the wildlife, let’s not make pets of them and cuddle them like our new puppy.
- Sitting with no exercise for 2 hours on benches peeking over someone’s shoulder to watch alligators get baited. 20+ tourists crammed onto a motorized boat. You are a human, not a sardine.
- Listening to a motor scare off most of the wildlife.
Keep the wildlife wild
Honey Island Swamp Tour
Why the Honey Island Swamp Tour is Great!
- Variety; Swamp houseboats, old growth cypress trees, a rope swing & a river.
- Trash: On a positive note, it gives you an opportunity to feel like you made a small but important difference. Pick up a piece or a whole boatload on your tour, or come back to join our river clean up.
- The notorious Honey Island Swamp Monster possible sighting…
- River to swim in, during the hot summer months, swimming in the river mid way on the tour, is a great opportunity to cool off.
- Rope swing!
Why the Honey Island Swamp Tour isn’t Great:
- Highway noise can linger throughout this swamp tour, we do get far away from it, but you can often still hear it.
- Trash, the Pearl River and Old Pearl river funnel trash from numerous sources, this can be a wake up call for action! Get WOKE people.
- A paper mill waste spill in 2011 killed numerous fish and wildlife, the river has rebounded with plenty of wildlife.
- Get your perspective flipped; gain a deeper respect of the need for environmental protection and start changing our perspective of the swamps as a dumping ground to that of an important filtering system for our groundwater and more!
Manchac and Maurepas Swamp Tour
Why the Manchac & Maurepas Swamp tour is Great!
- Stunning beauty- Picturesque photo opportunities- Check out some drone video of the swamp tour area.
- Peaceful, although we start near the highway, the noise disappears on this tour quickly.
- Active wildlife – Wilderness Management area
- One of the closer swamps, so less car travel time.
- No motorized swamp tours operate here.
Why the Manchac and Maurepas swamp tour isn’t great.
- No bathroom facilities at launch, there are bathroom facilities at the gas station just 2 miles down the road.